Wednesday 28 November 2007

Wow

Well, that was a surprise! Went along to our 16 week Midwife check-up today (the community midwife is much friendlier than the hospital based ones we have encountered so far) and we were just expecting to have bloods taken for testing.

They test for all manner of things such as whether there's a risk of Downs Syndrome for one example. We have decided to have all the tests done - forewarned is forearmed and in any case it's good for peace of mind.

Anyway, up jumped my wife onto the bed and all of a sudden some gel was applied to her tummy and a remarkably clever little microphone was brought forth. The midwife said that we might not be able to hear Baby's heartbeat, but at 16 weeks she was going to have a search for it.

Now, my wife had thought she had felt baby flutters a few days prior to the appointment but had felt nothing since, so we listened with a wee bit of trepidation. All of a sudden came a strong little phut-phut..phut-phut...phut phut...

... it was truly awesome to hear it and such a total surprise. It seems the little nipper(ess) is fairly active too, because the heartbeat came and went as (s)he moved about - who knows, maybe swinging from their umbilical cord like a mini-Tarzan!!

It was another fantastic milestone reached, and a huge reminder of how precious a gift a child is, and what a huge responsibility awaits me. No, not awaits me, I have that responsibility now, in so many areas.

I have to make sure I reduce stress for my clever, beautiful wife. Her body is having demands placed upon it that she has never known before, so the slack has to be picked up by me, and not added to.

I have to be completely ready to welcome this little one into what is a big, scary world, full of nasty surprises and twists and turns. I have to be ready to guide them by their little hand through the pitfalls, and keep them safe and secure.

I have to ask myself, from now forwards and regarding everything I do, "Is what I am about to do in the best interests of my wife, my child and me?" If it doesn't fit all three categories, it won't be done.

In 3 weeks time we are due our 20 week scan, at which time Baby will be about 6 1/2 inches long, steadily gaining weight, wth a fully operational circulatory system, hair, a nervous system, reflexes... 140 days ago (s)he was a wee cluster of cells, invisible to the naked eye and unrecognisable as (s)he is now. That'll mark half way. It's an amazing journey.



(Picture courtesy of www.babycentre.co.uk)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awwww! Isn't it fab when you hear that heart beating. We are loving your updates. Where are my pics of 'the bump'? Keep being happy and get sleep....lots of it!
XxX R