Wednesday 31 October 2007

Unexpected turn...

I was going to post today about fatherhood books, but that will have to take a back seat for now.

This morning my better half woke up and found that she had bled overnight - from, you know... there. She had said she was feeling sick last night, and she had put this down to being over-tired. I got held on at work and didn't get in until past 2am, so I thought that was a reasonable diagnosis.

Anyway, this morning, as I said, she had a bleed. We phoned the midwife straight away, who told us to get in touch with the ante natal unit of our local hospital, which, again, we did right away. First thing they asked - have you done a test, when was your last Aunt Flo (as I now know it's referred to!)

This has a direct link to yesterday's post when I mentioned that everything is taken on trust - "pregnant? Oh, well done, have an information pack, see you in 6 weeks for your first scan".

Anyway, I'm not criticising them, they said to go in tom orrow morning for a scan, as they feel it's best to check the wee one is ok.

I am really happy with their response, but I don't know what to feel about it. On the one hand, they're concerned and want to check things out to make sure all is well - on the other hand, and this isn't easy or nice to write, if miscarriages are going to happen, you can't do a stitch about it.

It's immensely frustrating sitting here not being able to do a thing about this, and not knowing if everything's ok or not. So you can imagine the state of my poor, dear wife. We call (s)he Bubs, but we've got names ready, and Bubs is a wee person in their own right, they're just not ready for making an appearance yet, so I just hope everything is ok.

I did do an internet search about bleeding during pregnancy, but all I did was what I told my wife off for doing, which was scaring myself.

Here's to tomorrow...

No comments: